<VV> Porsche & Corvair

James P. Rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Fri Oct 2 15:41:29 EDT 2009

All:  Forgive the tardiness please.  I've been out of town dealing with the
passing of my favorite uncle, and am now the PoA for my favorite aunt.

There is
	1. No doubt, per Porsche expert Karl Lidvigsen, Porsche had no, I repeat,
NO involvement in either the EM of LM Corvair.  He has had, and still has,
complete access to their engineering files.
	2. There is no evidence of any kind that any of the Porsche family ever
owned a Corvair.
	3. Any sightings of Corvair around the Porsche factory are either:
		a. Dan Gurney's car when he drove for the Porsche F-1 team in 1961/62.
Someone just said he had two Corvairs, but I only know of one.  What was the
other one during what time frame? or
		b. Racing Director Huschke von Hanstein's LM Fitch, which I mentioned
recently.  He and John were friends from John's M-Benz days, or
		c. Since the original question, I received a private report, now public,
that a Porsche employee had a EM wagon that was privately refitted with a
911 engine.  Time frame unknown.  I forwarded this report to Lidvigsen.  He
has no info of this, as it was not a Porsche engineering project.

There is conjecture the ease Chevy R&D had in stuffing a prototype Corvair
into a 356 may have influenced Porsche to make the original 911 engine a 6
cyl rather than a 4 cyl.  There is, again, no documentation, but see the
current issue of the 911 & PorscheWorld magazine I referred to recently.

Historically Yours,
			James Rice

Message: 1