<VV> iPod in a Corvair (WAS: ROLL CALL?)

Steven J. Serenska corvair at serenska.com
Sun Oct 4 08:46:01 EDT 2009

JR:
> Tell me more about the Ipod duhicky.  Does it have to be an FM or does
> it work with an AM only - and if so - HOW?
>
> Someone ( a semi-newbie) was asking about how to do that today at the
> WI show and I was not sure that I had the correct info.
The iPod doohickey is a small FM transmitter that is capable of
broadcasting around 8 ft.  I believe that arrangement let's it fall
within the FCC guidelines that allow you to broadcast a certain short
distance distance without a license.  8ft is enough to make it from the
front seat to the aerial on the front fender.  My thoughtful, teenage,
iPod-listenin' daughters gave it to me for my birthday a few years ago.
Sorta like when a 10 year old boy gives his mother a drum kit for
Christmas....but that's another story....

The unit plugs into the cigarette lighter and it has a long cord that
plugs into your iPod.  The cord carries both power and sound to the
iPod, so the added advantage is that you're charging the iPod while you
listen.  The unit has a digital readout on an LCD that indicates the
frequency at which it's transmitting (e.g., 102.7 mhz).  What you do is
find a dead station in your broadcasting area on your Corvair's FM radio
and then match the transmitter to that frequency.  That's it.  The
transmitter does not work on the AM band, or at least mine doesn't.

The unit is easier to operate on a modern car with a digital readout for
the radio stations because you can match exact number to exact number.
On a stock Corvair AM/FM radio, you need to find a quite spot on the
dial, and then move the iPod transmitter up and down until they align.

Whether it's Thelonius Monk or the Sex Pistols, I will tell you that
it's absolutely surreal to hear the full range of what can be stored on
an iPod coming out of the stock, 1965 dashboard speaker.

HTH.

Steven "Anarchy in the U.K., 'Round Midnight" Serenska

1965 Monza Convertible, 110/4
1966 Corsa Coupe, 140/4