<VV> 828 miles this weekend - car running lean - advice appreciated

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Mon Oct 5 11:51:34 EDT 2009

In a message dated 10/5/2009 6:04:33 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
guusdehaan at me.com writes:

On our  trip to Germany it was almost on lambda 14,7 all
the time (mine has  a Safe Guard system with sensor in the exhaust).
But on the way back  home it started running leaner and leaner (near
11). Does anyone  have an explanation what could cause this?

Guus,
11 would indicate a rich mixture rather than a lean one. Are you sure that
it's 11:1?

In my experience and research, I have found the rubber accel pump diaphragm
 a problem area. The rubber hardens from natural aging and it causes the
mixture to go rich. I don't know why this would happen during operation, but
it  happens otherwise. The diaphragm is fairly easy to replace. I would
start with  that.
Regards,
Bob Helt