<VV> to torque, or not to torque

Spence Shepard sshepard5 at carolina.rr.com
Sat Oct 10 13:52:45 EDT 2009

The purpose of the fastener (bolt, stud etc.) is to clamp parts together by
imparting a residual force between them. That is done by stretching the
elastic fastener and keeping it in the stretched state. The fasteners are
designed to be stretched to a point where they will provide a clamping force
adaquate to hold the parts together. The force is a function of the
characteristics of the fasterner including material properties and
dimensions and can be calculated as a linear function of the stretch. The
true measure of the clamping force is the stretch and the best way to
determine the stretch is to actually measure it which is done on critical
applications. Torquing is used as a more convenient way to approximatelly
determine the stretch. There are several factors (mostly coefficients of
friction) that affect the accuracy of that method.

The main problem with measuring stretch is that amount of stetch involved is
very small and the accuracy required is often in the tenths of thousanths
(.0001") of an inch. It is very difficult to obtain that accuracy, therefore
torquing is used as a practical compromise.

Spence Shepard