<VV> Fiction or...

Mel Francis mfrancis at wi.rr.com
Wed Oct 14 14:39:43 EDT 2009

Total agreement here. The design of the Corvair valvetrain is the real clue
to it's origin.

The geometry of the valve train in the head is almost identical to that of
the 1955 Chevy V8, including the use of
Chevy's own patented one-piece stamped valve rockers, with the same
hydraulic lifter adjustment routine as the larger V8.
No other company (in the world) had a valvetrain with that design in the
mid-'50s.

Any talk of Briggs & Stratton's involvement is actually quite silly, since
B&S had no experience with
overhead valve engine production in the late '50s, only arriving at that
point in the late '70s. If B&S
had built any engine prototypes for GM in the fifties, they would have been
flatheads with mechanical lifters!

Mel