<VV> Not Race Cars Ask John Fitch

James P. Rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Thu Oct 15 15:06:41 EDT 2009

Bill:  I suppose it depends on your definition of "early Vettes"

John Fitch and Zora Duntov turned them into race cars.  At Sebring in 1956
(early enough?) John Fitch and Walt Hansgen drove one to 9th OA and 1st in
class.  The were, in fact, the first production based car to finish.  Beat
Ferraris, MB300SL and a whole host of limie cars.  There were 5 Vettes
entered in the 58 car field, with 24 running at the end,  Three of the Vette
were running at the end in 9th, 15th and 23rd.

In 1957, the Vette's were the first 3 production based cars to finish, in
12th, 15th & 16th.

Need I go into other sources and list their domination in the SCCA's
B-Production against the same furrin cars around that time?  Don't you
remember Chevrolet's "The Real McCoy" ad in 1956.  Or weren't you born yet?

You may now apologize to John, Zora, their drivers and crews for your
historical shortcomings.

Historically Yours,
                   James Rice
                   CORSA member since mid-70's
                   Former Chairman of the Competition Committee
                   Member of original CPF Advisorary Committee
                   CORSA/CPF BoD member and CPF Liaison 1999-01
                   Occasional contributor to the Communique
                   PCG member

The early Vettes were a lot of things, but they were not a race car.

Bill Strickland