<VV> Not Race Cars Ask John Fitch

Mel Francis mfrancis at wi.rr.com
Thu Oct 15 17:21:23 EDT 2009

My definition of "early Corvettes" includes the years '53 and '54, when the
sixes were the only engine available.
I think these are the "early" cars that Bill was referring to. And they were
not fast enough to perform well, on the street or the track.

The period of '52 to '56 was one of 'the hybrids', where all variety of cars
were responding fairly well to the insertion of an american V8.
English sportscar chassis', with lighter suspensions, responded very well to
a V8 and led the field in racing.
Backyards across the country were bristling with small cars and big iron
Olds and Cadillac V8 motors, all hastily combined, but they were fast!

GM's own Corvette V8 hybrids were being developed within one year of the
first production cars and available for consumers in '55 with the all-new
Chevy V8........And at that point, John Fitch and Zora Duntov turned them
into real race cars..........So you are both right!

Mel