<VV> Plugged idle tubes

henry kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Sun Oct 18 09:52:32 EDT 2009

I could be wrong, but I think there's a big difference between using the
filter stone, which was designed for the carb, and some kind of mesh screen.
I've always used new filter stones in my carbs and I never have any trouble
with trash in carbs.

It's also a possiblity that Stephen was fueling his Vair from a gas station
that has old tanks with a lot of debris in them, and the tanks were near
empty when he filled up.

I've got no idea how Stephen set up his fuel system.  But when I'm restoring
a fuel system, I use the "Genius" method, which is defined as doing
everything right the first time.

If the tank is not new but still serviceable, out comes the tank. Lots of
time spent insuring that all rust is out of the tank (chain method.)  I then
inspect the tank with a bore scope. If all loose corrosion is removed, the
tank is coated.  If the tank is new, it is coated anyway.

New Filter Sock. New hoses and seals through to the back.  Inline metal
replaceable filter. I have my own carbs professionally rebuilt (on my
present vehicle Steve Goodman rebuilds).  New mechanical Fuel pump---never
know how deteriorated the diaphragm is---small pieces of the surface of the
diaphragm could be breaking off and moving to the carbs.

I've now put about 8K on the Ultra Monza, and never an issue with starting,
idling and performing.

I know Stephen does his best to do everything as correct as he can.  So like
lclc told me when my first engine had a main bearing rocking back and forth
on the block----"Ya just got lucky".

Sorry you're still having so many driveability issues, Stephen.  Keep us
advised.

Hank