<VV> Oil Pans - Helicoil or Time Sert?

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Wed Oct 21 01:35:40 EDT 2009

In a message dated 10/20/2009 7:40:22 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
ChiefTAM at aol.com writes:

I have an oil pan that is leaking, and there appears to be a bolt or  two
that are not holding, probably stripped.  There was a thread  back in May
or
so that talked about leaky pans, but I can't seem to  find it.  What is
easier and better (if there is such a thing) to  use to repair threads,
helicoil
or Time Sert?

>>>For a quick repair, for one of the side threads only (not  one at the
front or rear of the motor), you can thread a longer bolt through the  hole up
into the area above and put a nut on it. Ugly but effective. Doesn't  work
on the ends because they are blind holes. I prefer solid inserts to
Helicoils. There is no easy way to go when you are working upside down under the
car.

What is the best gasket to use?
>>> It depends on the pan. For a steel pan, I like the composite  gasket
from Underground it has some cork and some rubber. It is much tougher  than
the whole cork and less likely to extrude out than rubber. I use the  thin
paper ones on my Otto Parts pans.

What is the best way to keep the  oil pan bolts from loosening up after
driving a while?  I torqued  the bolts to the proper torque a short time
ago,
and most are  loosening up, allowing the pan to leak oil.

>>> This is a tough one. Clean threads on the bolts and in the  holes will
provide real torque readings. I glue the gasket to the pan with a  light
grease on the contact face If you are using the stock pan, you may have to
reform the face to get a flat surface for a good seal. (That is why I like  the
aluminum pans, they are much stiffer). Keep an eye out at the swap meets -
there are a lot of Aluminum pans around.

And a wrench with the correct socket may become a 5 minute Saturday morning
 ritual. Slide under, twist-twist and drive away.

Seth  Emerson

C's the Day! - Corvair, Camaro,  Corvette