<VV> Helicoil or Time Sert?

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Wed Oct 21 16:56:59 EDT 2009

In a message dated 10/21/2009 4:50:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
hmlinc at sbcglobal.net writes:

JRs points are well taken, but many of us have our personal ways of doing
things that have worked for us and I have always and continue to use
Antiseize  on the pan bolts.  I use an inch pound torque wrench at the correct
torque  and make sure the pan is not deformed and that the bolt threads are free
of  debris and rust.  No problems or leaks so far.  I'm just more afraid
of a seized or stripped thread than I am of leaks.

Bob Hall

Hi  Bryan,

I'm not too sure about using anti-seize on the pan bolts.   First, probably
not needed.  I don't remember ever having one rust  into place <GRIN>.
Second, the lube effect of the anti-sneeze (an  lclc word) might lead to an
over tighten (over-torque?) situation.

I  DO suggest washers to help spread out the forces on the pan at the
holes.

Later, JR