<VV> <CORSA Chapters> Mims Award

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Tue Oct 27 06:36:10 EDT 2009

Bob's points are well taken and rational ... however, as much as I regret having to disagree with him, I have to say I do not think it is a good idea to do anything to discourage our women from participating in any manner.  Admittedly sexist, our admiration for Donna Mae is largely based upon her accomplishments ... racing against men ... and doing well.  There have been few women willing to step up to that position.  Like it or not, it sets her apart from other women.  Eliminating the ladies classes is likely to discourage many of the women participants at a time when we should be doing as much as possible to encourage their participation.  CORSA Conventions have long been ignoring their women attendees and I believe that is counter to the well being of CORSA.
Ken P

Robert Marlow <Vairtec at optonline.net> wrote:

sarahvair at juno.com wrote:

> How about just one sticker to be placed on the fastest time of the day for a lady,
regardless of what class she runs in.

Now this has merit.  If we could combine this idea with eliminating the
ladies' class entirely, we'd be on to something.  Donna Mae did not race
in "ladies classes" and classes based on gender are as appropriate as
classes based on race, religion, or political affiliation.

Ditch the ladies classes and look forward to the day when a person might
win BOTH the Yenko and the Mims awards.

--Bob