<VV> oil filters

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 27 13:45:27 EDT 2009

Hey Jeff!

The problem I see with the Fram filters (current ones) is that U shaped
rubber gasket around the outer top edge.  I demonstrated this at a CCE
meeting (you missed that one?) using a cutaway oil filter housing.  It is
virtually impossible to crank down on the filter mounting bolt hard enough
to make the smaller (inner) seal on the filter actually seal where it is
supposed to.  This would allow the oil to flow over the top of the filter
rather than through the filter.  Some folks have even split that outer U
seal in an attempt to get the filter tight enough to seal properly.  Of
course, then it will leak into the engine compartment which makes for a not
pretty sight.

The torque spec for the filter is 15 to 20 ft lbs.  It takes a lot more than
that on a filter with the U gasket.

So, to my mind, not just Fram is a problem - but also any filter (Purolator
and others) which have that U gasket.

That said and knowing you...  you probably have a stock of the older style
on hand.

Later, JR

CCE CORSA CORVANANTICS SCG member
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110