<VV> FC Tire pressure question

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Wed Oct 28 10:47:32 EDT 2009

In a message dated 10/28/2009 8:56:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
dkdewald at pasty.net writes:

If you  wish to use the P205/75R14 standard load index 95 passenger car
tires be  aware that they are likely to be overloaded in certain
situations.   Therefore I would recommend inflating them to the full
sidewall listed  pressure [35 or 44psi depending on manufacturer] for the
rear and about 5  psi less on the front.  This is essentially what GM did
for the base  4-ply tire.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI

Thanks for the feedback Dale.  You are right--I had used the '61 FC  specs
and not my '64 supplement.  I have heard several conflicting points  of view
on how to best compare a modern radial tire to the bias ply truck tires
available when the FC came out.  When I have a light load, or for everyday
use I run at the 30psi front and rear I noted, but if I am going to haul
anything near the close to 3/4 ton capacity (passengers or cargo)  I also  raise
the pressures to 35 psi all around.  I'll try the slightly lower  front
tire pressures listed on the '64 supplement this weekend  (I used  these
pressures when I first bought the '64 GB 25 years ago) to see if  I want to go
back to them.

I wonder what the owners who autocross their FCs run for tires and tire
pressures?

Bob Hall