<VV> EUM in Group Red

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 23:56:13 EDT 2009

Guys, I think I am on the same trek! I bought a 62 coupe last year, well, at
least I knew it was a 67K miles one owner vehicle, with the saying that they
did what was needed. I should have known what was coming when I went to
change plugs, and bought the std corvair plugs with gasket, but when I stuck
my plug socket down a shroud hole, I found a 5/8 plug! Turns out they had
the heads off, welded up the spark plug holes and redrilled for 5/8 taper
seat plugs, with the electrode closer to the exhaust valve. (I searched for
6 months to find that was done to help with better fuel burn)
I started out with a master cylinder that allowed the pedal to go to the
floor (all brakes are almost new), then decided to change gaskets to stop
oil leaks, which led to finding a worn out distributer. While there I
installed a pertronix II and Flame thrower coil. Then I decided while I was
changing gaskets I might as well install a alternator, since when I went to
overhaul the generator I found the rare end frame cracked. So, while I was
at it, I restored both carbs to their like new condition, found the blower
hub bearing growling at me, so bought a top cover with a new bearing
installed. While in there I could not help to look at a few rod  bearings,
crank mikes new but the bearings were pitted, so replaced those. Found one
cylinder had been changed. Well, couldn't let that old metal fan rob power
so I bought a 64 magnesium fan for it while I was in there.
I had noticed a vibration which changed when you applied clutch pressure, so
am just finishing a flywheel (dales) and clutch job (Fort Wayne Clutch).
While doing this, I found BOTH rear axle bearings about to fall apart. I had
heart palpitations when the machine shop called and said they had ruined a
bearing housing taking them off, but they found one to replace it locally.
The exhaust manifold studs were shot, and when I took the exhaust off, the
pipe at both manifold flanges and weld joints opened up. So, its new
manifolds and dual exhaust.
Its been fun, but I would like to drive the thing once in awhile!
I'm taking next summer off to drive!   Mark Durham