<VV> Strange battery / starter problem

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sat Oct 31 13:34:29 EDT 2009

At 09:22 AM 10/29/2009, Ebarr19 at aol.com wrote:
>One more thing to consider, moisture in the distributor cap. Years ago in
>the sixties I worked part time in a filling station and a lot of Mopars had
>problems in wet weather, the first thing we did was drill a 1/8th inch hole
>in the cap " Problem solved "
>  Gene Barr

This isn't BS.

I did this as well, solved a lot of the problems with carbon tracking
inside Mopar distributor caps with hot ignitions.   It generally took
more than just one hole though... ;)

Some of the hardcore race guys (not just Mopars but others as well)
would drill a hole between each pole post, on the side of the
cap.    Seems that it would solve a lot of the high speed misfires
that kept popping up with very high intensity ignitions and high rpm,
causing the air inside the cap to ionize and become "conductive" and
cause erratic spark.   There was an article about this in
a  performance magazine with lab tests done with a clear distributor
cap which showed the air inside the cap actually flashing and glowing
blue at high speeds and hard loads on the spark (high cylinder
pressures).   The ionization misfire was cured by drilling the holes
to vent the cap.

tony..