<VV> <vv> penetrants

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Wed Sep 2 23:34:27 EDT 2009

At 10:46 PM 9/2/2009, HallGrenn at aol.com wrote:
>Thanks Tony.  Nice that it confirms what I've experienced.  After  all the
>recommendations for PB Blaster I used it for about two years, but now  I've
>gone back to Liquid Wrench.  It still seems the best for the  money.  Anyone
>want to brew up the home brew mix the worked the best and  sell it to the
>rest of us fighting with old rusty fasteners?

I actually have used something like the homebrew mix they mentioned.

Well, something sorta like it.    Gun owners may recognize the term
"Ed's Red" which is a rifle bore cleaner that contains acetone and
ATF along with a few other things.

http://home.comcast.net/~dsmjd/tux/dsmjd/tech/eds_red.htm  for you
2nd Amendment sorts.

I mixed up a gallon of the stuff years ago for the cleaning parties
following a day at the rifle range and in a pinch I've also used it
to slick up some stuck hardware, worked nicely...

...although I kept buying Blaster because people talked it up a
lot.    Blaster works ok but certainly no better than good old Liquid
Wrench which I've considered switching back to...  but now I think
I'm gonna mix up some more ATF and acetone for loosening fasteners,
save the Ed's Red for the rifle bores.

A quart of ATF isn't expensive, from any FLAPS...  and neither is a
quart of acetone, Home Depot and Lowes both sell it in cans.   That's
a half-gallon of penetrant.   :)    And I learned a long time ago
that ATF is a very good lube for camera shutter bushings and fine
toothed gears and is a heluva lot cheaper than whale oil and smells better.

tony..