<VV> CORVAIR COOLER EXHAUSTS

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Thu Sep 3 19:15:02 EDT 2009

While jet hot coating the exhaust is likely a positive step in making the engine run cooler, there are likely many other items that could be addressed (at considerably lower costs) which would provide superior cooling.

On a 110 (which doesn't tend to have significant cooling issues to start with) simply cleaning up the heads/ removing flashing should allow that engine to cool efficiently in any temperature.

In my wife's 110/PG VW Westy, fully laden for an extended camping trip and running through as high as 113 degrees F ambient temps during her 10,000 mile lap of the US, she never saw head temps (measured at the spark plug) of over 325 degrees... and that could be achieved only by lugging down the engine for extended periods... dropping the trans into L (good for 60mph with the tall VW tires and 3.55 diff) almost immediately dropped the head temps by 50 degrees... standard head temps were in the 250-275 range at highway speeds.

Unless you are running a turbo, smog pump, and/or AC I really think you don't need to worry about additional cooling if the heads are cleanly deflashed. (Thanks for the effort John Moody!!!)

Bill