<VV> What has CORSA done for us?

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Fri Sep 4 08:58:46 EDT 2009

Well, Ole Hank sure stirred up the hornet's nest with that one!  But the point was mostly missed.  Every other local car and boat club to which I belong requires a national club membership ... no exceptions.  CORSA has missed the financial boat on this one.  They have shot themselves in the foot ... with a double barrel :-(  They allow locals to not join the national AND they require national membership for the convention ... This is simply backwards.  The national convention should be OPEN TO ALL and used as 'bait' to draw new members into CORSA and their local clubs.  They NEED to require locals to join.
Ken P

Robert Marlow <Vairtec at optonline.net> wrote:

Mark wrote:
>> So if they truely want to get the most out of
>> their Corvair, then they HAVE to join CORSA

Hank replied:

No they don't Mark. They just have to join a CORSA chapter. No need to
pay dues to CORSA

Bob now replies:

Great thinking, Hank.  Let's all of us stop paying CORSA dues, stop
paying for, I believe you said, "a magazine subscription."  CORSA will
fold, but all those little local clubs will carry on, and of course
there is this here internet thing.

Of course, we on Virtual Vairs will have to pony up a little more than
we have previously, to keep the server going, or pay for some commercial
establishment to host us, but hey, we each have that saved dues money to
work with and it won't take but a fraction of that per person.  We're
still miles ahead.

And of course, some day at one of those local club events, someone will
trip on a folding chair and break their hip, and as luck would have it
they have an aggressive lawyer who encourages them to sue.  No problem,
the club has liability insurance.  Oh, no, wait, that went away when
CORSA went away, so he'll just have to sue the individual members of the
local club.  Maybe they have insurance.  Or maybe that local club's
members pooled the rest of their CORSA dues savings and bought a club
policy.  Yeah, that's the ticket.  It costs more per member than the
CORSA dues savings and some members refuse to pay, but hey, at least we
don't have that nasty situation where some local members belong to a
national club and some don't, so we're still better off.

Of course, there is no longer an annual CORSA convention, just a
pastiche of local events, and maybe some regional ones if some clubs can
get together and agree on something.  People from the west coast will
never actually meet people from the east coast, but they van correspond
online.  After all, there are Goodguys shows so who really needs a
Corvair-specific national gathering.  Man, things are so much better
than when CORSA was around, supporting local clubs while failing to
dictate policy.

And of course, eventually a group of guys, maybe from VV or Fastvairs,
will decide to join together to do a big centralized gathering inspired
by the internet connections.  They'll book a hotel, schedule
activities.  Each of the venues will ask for a copy of an insurance
certificate.  There is no longer a CORSA to count on for this insurance,
but they can buy a policy.  It costs more, since it is a smaller group
and it does not maintain regular coverage with the risk spread out among
a wider geographic area and multiple events and a larger membership
base.  And the cost greatly outstrips what each member used to pay in
CORSA dues, but it's the principle of the thing, after all.

Oh, and that pesky magazine no longer clutters our mailbox.  Just as
well, print is dead after all.  Yup, let's all join Hank and let our
CORSA membership lapse.  Things will be so much better then.