<VV> Membership required

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 4 19:06:34 EDT 2009

Dennis,

If I read that correctly - and I think that I did...  You are saying that
37% of CORSA dues paying members who responded felt that CORSA membership
should not be mandatory for local chapter members.  I wonder what percentage
of non-CORSA members would say if there were a way to pole them.  I suspect
it would be dang close to 100% since they seem to have already "voted" with
their feet.

Currently, we (supposedly) keep non-CORSA members out of the hospitality
room at conventions.  This is one of the reasons for having "official" CORSA
ID tags.  The idea is to shame them into a membership?  Nothing keeps them
away from the outdoor (or possibly even the indoor) vendors.  Some of the
vendors offer discounts to CORSA members at convention time.  I wonder if
they actually check that or just assume that if you are at convention you
must be a member.

The flip side of keeping non-members out at convention is that there is a
strong risk of looking very cliquickish (sp?) to a Corvair newbie who came
along to "check us out" while the convention was nearby to his/her home.
That, of course, would lead to one more person who says "I don't want to be
part of THAT group".

Where am I going with this?  No particular place.  Just trying to look at
the situation from both sides.  Sure, we'd LOVE to have more new members of
CORSA.  But, there may be (probably are) reasons beyond financial for some
local club members to stay away from the national organization.  Perceived
past "wrongs" could be a significant part of their thinking.

Just thoughts.  I'll shut up on this topic now.

Later, JR