<VV> Forum Format

Wildman, Kenneth k-wildman at onu.edu
Mon Sep 7 06:45:14 EDT 2009

Dave:

You have some interesting ideas.  It always is useful for someone to
bring a fresh viewpoint into the mix.

But, fresh ideas have to fit into the culture of a group.  A lot of what
you are suggesting falls into the realm of marketing the Corvair; most
CORSA members belong to the club out of a sense of community.  There are
many aspects to our involvement in CORSA, including such things as the
opportunity to know Corvair people across the nation and the world,
sharing technical information, providing a venue for displaying our
vehicles without the distraction of other Marques, maintaining the
history the Corvair, and the opportunity to spend a week with other
Corvair people in new locations each year.

I understand the benefits of the large forum format with sub-forums
devoted to specific interests.  Such a format would echo the composition
of CORSA's special interest chapters.  On the other hand, Virtual Vairs
is a very comfortable place for many of us.  It has grown and changed
over the years in ways that met specific needs.

I joined VV in the early 90s when there were around 30 or 40 members.  I
also belong to a number of specific-interest forums in other fields and
I own or have moderated several Yahoo Groups.  From my perspective there
are advantages unique to each format.

It may be that this is the time to look at a broader forum-format, or
the group may not be ready or interested in making such a change.  I do
know that most of the long time members of VV and CORSA are less
interested in gaining "converts" than they are in enjoying their own
hobby with like-minded aficionados.  For the most part, we recognize
that the Corvair is an orphan model that will never be revived, that
there is a diminishing number of collectable vehicles, and that the club
is unlikely to grow.  We mostly hope that we can sustain the current
interest level, but accept that our numbers are more likely to dwindle
rather than increase.

Ken