<VV> LM Rear AntennaLM Rear Antenna

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Mon Sep 7 13:58:33 EDT 2009

At 11:19 PM 9/3/2009, Gary Mierzwa wrote:

>JV Robertys wrote:
>
>"I can answer this one! It's the speed of light divided by the
>frequency. So, 186,000 MPS x 5280 x 12 divided by 98 million hertz
>gives you 120.6 inches. A quarter wave antenna would be ~30.1 inches. "
>

>Don't forget multiplying that answer by the Velocity Factor (K) of
>electromagnetic enery in Free-Air (.985) verses Free-Space (1.00)
>

>Pickey, Pickey, Pickey   :>)
>

>Gary Mierzwa

A lot of aftermarket car antenna vendors (as well as factory supplied
parts) were selling antennas that were 22 inches long... which was
their "economical" answer to an over-all average although it was more
like their being kinda cheap, shorter antenna means more of them can
be made from the same quantity of material and they were stainless
steel rod.    A 22 inch antenna ends up being about right for the top
region of the FM band.

In the end, having an exact 1/4 wavelength antenna for receiving an
analog FM radio signal isn't all that advantageous... you can give or
take a bit without much difference at all.

It's the transmitting end where antenna length gets
critical.     Most times, FM reception issues revolve around
multipath distortion caused by reflections and not a genuine lack of
signal strength.    The vast majority of FM transmitters crank out
around 100KW erp (FCC limits) so strength is usually not an
issue.    A few have grandfathered erp options where they transmit as
much as 200KW or more, such as one station here in town that puts out
191KW.   One or two have options according to their original FCC
contracts to broadcast at an astonishing 500KW erp.    However, most
of that is wasted in flat country since line of sight transmission
doesn't really take much advantage of such power levels so the
grandpa stations seldom ever run that much power simply because it's
unnecessary and expensive.   The most I'm aware of is one or two that
run ~300KW... and that's not continuous IIRC.

Those grandpa stations do get out.   And multipath still eats them up
sometimes, quality-wise, in town.    But outta town, far down the
road, you still hear them as far away as 250 miles or more if the
transmitter is atop a mountain.    Even then, they need to be on a
"clean" channel to avoid cochanneling with someone else equally as
far away in the opposite direction, which is a problem with many AM
stations at night when skip is rolling.

Almost no skip for FM or most other HF or VHF freqs but it does
sometimes happen when sunspots are active and the atmosphere
ionizes.   I once picked up a TV station broadcast from Corpus
Christi TX (video was in and out but sometimes pretty fair with
little noise, audio was mostly unintelligible) here in Roanoke VA
with a fancy rooftop TV antenna on a rotor at the electronics shop I
worked... it was an episode of The Three Stooges.   Since FM falls
between VHF Lo and VHF Hi (or used to) it follows that FM skip would
also be working... so a degree anyway.

...all of which has nothing to do with the length of a car's radio
antenna for FM radio reception, so go with anything that's between 24
and 36 inches and you probably won't go wrong.

tony..