<VV> Front / Rear window seals on a four door

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 7 16:12:07 EDT 2009

I'm preparing for our 50th anniversary celebration on October 3rd.  I
want to replace the window seals and have had the seal kits from a
well known east coast vendor for over four years now.  So I pull the
items out and the first thing that strikes me is that the size and
cut angles on the window seals that attach to and mate the rear
windows to the front windows are not exactly like the originals, nor
even each other in length.
The measurements that I get for the ones on the car are: 15 1/8" on
the side attaching to the window frame and 14  7/8" on the leading
edge that mates to the front window (they are tapered to allow them
to fit when the doors close).  The new ones are 15" and 14
3/4" (with the tapered cut measuring 1/4" wide x  3/8" long and only
on the top) and the other is 15 1/8" and 14 1/8" (with a tapered cut
of 1/2" x 1/2 " both top and bottom).
Is this a "do not install as they will leak - call the vendor"  or a
"that is not a problem, install" ?

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas
President / North Texas Corvair Association
CORSA
Corvaireum II

Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza Hardtop 110

The Original Four Door Sports Car