<VV> Need Help with Replacing Rear Brake Shoes

Jeffrey B. Aronson jrh at foxislands.net
Mon Sep 7 19:16:56 EDT 2009

I need some expert advice on replacing the rear brake shoes on my '66
Monza 110/4.

When the brakes became even poorer in action recently, I pulled the
drums off and found that on the passenger's side rear, a piece of the
rear shoe lining had fallen off and wedged itself between the shoe and
the drum. So I went online to Clarks and bought their shoe and spring
kit. I chose the bonded brakes, but not out of knowledge, just habit. I
made certain I had plenty of brake cleaning spray and two spring removal
tools - the one that takes off those wretched pins/springs/caps and the
combination brake spring remover pliers.

Starting around 11:30 today, I began with the passsenger side wheel. I
read the manual and began disassembly. That was the easy part. The
adjuster also worked smoothly. Then I tried to reassemble the new parts
according the manual. That's where I found things really complicated for
me. The reassembly took hours - I could not figure out the right order
of assembly - the springs first or the pin/spring/cap first? What was I
to do with the parking brake assembly? It took me /hours [/!] to
complete that one wheel - kneeling like a troll outdoors on what was
admittedly a nice day. Part of the time spent was in discovering that
the new Clark's pins are slightly shorter than the original pins -
making it impossible for the cap to hold while moving the shoes around.
Also, the bonded linings were thicker, making it impossible to get the
drum on over them - even with the adjuster all the way in and the
parking brake adjustment counted for. I had to break down and sand the
new linings a bit in order to get the drum on over the shoes.

Now I get to the left side and it seems to be different at the bottom of
the shoes. And then the cap popped off in its futile effort to hold the
new spring in place, and darkness rolled in, and I called it a day.

One thing that would help me greatly is a high quality photo set of a
brake job, or a terrific set of line drawings. Does anyone have these,
or a link to a site with them?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff Aronson
Vinalhaven, ME