<VV> 4 or 2 door Corvair,

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 8 10:45:40 EDT 2009

G'Day, Carl!

In case you haven't caught on, it's a bit like the "early vs late" thread.
It's mostly for fun.

-Mark

unique in that it could well be the smallest or one of the smallest four
door pillarless hardtops ever made. I do believe the Japanese made some
Toyota Crown four door pillarless hardtops in the early 1980s but these
were larger cars than the Corvair.

> In time good original examples of 4 door hardtop Corvairs will be rare
and collectable mostly because in my view they have been underappreciated.

> The 1965 to 1969 2 door hardtop Corvair roof-line with its thin "C"
pillar is outstanding. Why some see then need to cover over these thin rear
"C" pillars is very difficult for me to understand. I don't find the "Finch
Sprints that widen this pillar" at all attractive but in the end its really
an individual thing.

> Certainly I have long held the view that the four (4) pillarless hardtop
style is a real 'hardtop' in the true sense. Two (2) door hardtops on the
other hand while hardtops, they are not as complex to build as a four door
hardtop and certainly not unique.

> Most makes at one point made a 2 door hardtop but few outside the USA
ever attempted to produce a 4 door hardtop and a 4 door hardtop in time
will become the interesting body style above most others in my view.