<VV> "Bucking" problem solved, for now...

LonzoVair at aol.com LonzoVair at aol.com
Tue Sep 8 12:12:47 EDT 2009

Hey guys,
My "acquaintance" just left my house, with a smile on his face and a
smoother running car.
The car is interesting... someone removed all the tags (VIN & Fisher  Body)
and the tags there are GLUED on... and the VIN is a copy of the original
tag, with "Kentucky Vehicle Identification" stamped on there... the paint is
very nice (looks like lacquer, deep blue metal flake, and it looks like you
 could stick your finger into it two knuckles deep)... he's had it for 4 or
5  years... and it has an FC engine...
Anyway, the timing was off, and the carbs were set too low. I set the
points a little better and found the points plate worn a bit, so I told him to
get a new plate, preferably DALE, and a new points lead wire, and that
would completely solve the "bucking" problem. I tweaked the carbs, adjusted the
timing, and then tweaked the carbs again. Then we went on a test drive...
no  more bucking... he was happy, and gave me a little money for my time,
even  though I told him not to... he's retired, 75 years old, and a nice old
fella... he said "How old are you?"... I told him "42".... he said "You sure
know a lot about Corvairs!"... I smiled and said "I've been driving them
for 19  years, and I've had to learn everything I can about them in order to
keep them  running..."...
He was fun, and it was maybe an hour and a half of actual "fiddling around"
 with the engine, the other hour and a half was looking at my 64 and asking
 questions...
It was a nice morning.
So there ya have it, a combination of timing, points gap (and worn plate)
and carb idle speed...
Thanks for all the tips and info!
Now, to go out and see about this brake hose on the '64... I drove to
E'town last night and the rear right drum was smokin'... and when I bled the
lines last week when I installed the new master cylinder there seemed to be a
lot more resistance than on the other side...
;-)
Later,
Lonzo