<VV> MandAtory multiple membership

corvairs at pacifier.com corvairs at pacifier.com
Tue Sep 8 23:11:40 EDT 2009

    As the fellow once said..."and so it goes".

    Corsa is in a bad spot, not only literally but in its ability to save
itself. Volunteer organizations oftentimes suffer from the fact that
volunteer leadership (Board members, etc) are not people who want to
make controversial decisions. Who wants to make a necessary decision
and go back to their local club or a convention and get critisized by
your friends?

    We can blame past Board members for the fact that Corsa does not now
require 100% membership from local chapters. That makes not doing so
"the tradition" and there are people out there who'll "be damned" if
you "force" them into this change. Those are the dynamics. If it had
been done years ago then.....

    We can blame past Board members but we can't blame them too much, as
many of us have been there and understand why things are the way they
are. The issue of charging proper dues falls under the same spell.

    Can we agree on one thing? That is that Corsa is under no moral
obligation whatsoever to provide insurance coverage to non 100%
chapters. So then, let's drop the coverage. Give the local
non-conforming chapters adequate notice for them to get thier own
insurance. Inform them that if they do not they will have to withdraw
from any official connections with National Corsa. The reason for that
would be to strictly protect Corsa from a potential lawsuit and no
other reason.

    After this period the insurance could be offered again, but "free" to
100% chapters (as it is now) and greatly increased to non-conforming
chapters.

    No one wants to pick on members and our chapters. But somewhere there
has to be starting point. The current members (Including friends of
mine) who are screaming about "I'll be damned if they'll force me and
my chapter into compliance" need to quiet down and think.

    Is it reasonable to expect an organization with shrinking revenue to
continue to subsidize chapters who prefer not to pay their full fare?
To the irate - let's look at BOTH sides of the coin.

    But then, I have been there and done that and for reasons I fully
understand nothing like I suggest will probably happen - or if it does
it will be meek and too little.

    So without mutual cooperation and resolve Corsa will continue to lose
members and money. But look on the bright side, the whole time we'll
convince ourselves that we tried to make everyone happy.

    I'd like to write a whole lot more on this but have work to do.

 Lon Wall