<VV> Effects of thermal coating in combustion chamber

FrankCB frankcb at aol.com
Thu Sep 10 18:12:56 EDT 2009

     Tom didn't believe my assertion that thermally coating the inside of the combustion chamber might cause combustion problems due to the extra heat retained so I sent his response to son Jim who is an engineer at Delphi involved in engine design.
     Here's Jim's answer shown in line-by-line response to Tom's comments.  The most important point Jim makes is that REDUCING the heat flow through the head (by thermal coating) INCREASES the peak pressure which makes knock more likely, even while it is increasing the torque.
     Looks like a case for adding water injection to keep peak pressure under control.  (I "may" have mentioned that previously.<GGG>)  Or at least use electronic knock control like Ray Sedman's SafeGuard (see www.american-pi.com).
     Frank Burkhard