<VV> EM Monza 102 PG stalling problem

Jeffrey B. Aronson jrh at foxislands.net
Sat Sep 12 09:23:10 EDT 2009

An island neighbor has a very nice '62 Monza convertible, 102 hp with
Powerglide. She reported to me that it was a very hard start in wet
weather, and that she was reluctant to drive it.

Assuming that it needed an ignition tune up as a minimum, I ordered
parts from Clarks. When I checked out the points, they were quite pitted
so I changed the points, condenser, rotor and cap. The car started right
up and idled well. However, when I pulled a few of the spark plugs, I
found them quite blackened with a dry soot. Nonetheless, the car idled
fine and the engine revved up smoothly with the car at rest. Later in
the day, the owner returned and she listened as I started up her car.
She was quite pleased, and I even saw her driving it [finally] the next
day. I had also checked the carbs with my Unisyn [they appeared
balanced], checked the oil [needs changing] and transmission fluid
[looked and smelled ok].

This morning I found an email from her saying "the idle needs to be
turned up since it stalls constantly when trying to shift and get started."

I will go and check the obvious [loose wires, points gap, spark plug
wires], and I'm going to drive the car myself this morning - but I'd
appreciate advice on this as I've never had a car with any automatic
transmission. I should note that the car has sat for several years while
it was refurshied by an enthusiast on the mainland, and gets driven very
little here.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff