<VV> carbs / too high an idle

Louis Armer carmerjr at mindspring.com
Sat Sep 12 16:36:36 EDT 2009

Hi Jay, Disconnect both your secondaries from the carb linkage. The
easiest way to do this on a 1965 would be to disconnect the linkage
at the "bell crank" part of the linkage. You probably have something
sticking on the secondaries connecting rods or the spark plug wires
may be hanging up part of the secondary linkages when you depress the
cross shaft. Do you have the air horn on or off when you are having
this problem? Sometimes the cross shaft sticks underneath the center
of the air horn.

Chuck

At 04:28 PM 9/12/2009, you wrote:
>OK, the '65 Corsa started running real rough, missing & bucking ... felt
>like fuel/carbs ... then stopped idling and died. Finally got a re-start,
>but throttle is completely messed up. It sticks wide open and won't idle.
>Before it's demise, it was idling at 2000-2200 RPM - excessive? Now I can't
>even keep it idling long enough to jump out and run back to the carb linkage
>to get a look at what's going on. Manually moving the throttle linkage, I
>can see that the secondary by the #5 cylinder isn't moving at all. I
>literally have to lift the pedal off the floor if it goes beyond a certain
>depression percentage - it feels 'hung up' somewhere.
>Any thoughts where I start to look? I have a feeling that purchase #1 & #2
>will be the shop manuals and Bob Helt's book. I'll also gratefully accept
>any recommendations for a Corvair mechanic in the Central Ohio area.

CORSA Member
Corvanatics Member
Corvair Atlanta Director
1965 Corsa Coupe