<VV> Spoke Too Soon on Brakes

deltainc deltainc at grm.net
Sat Sep 12 18:27:33 EDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeffrey B. Aronson" <jrh at foxislands.net>
Subject: <VV> Spoke Too Soon on Brakes

> For a couple of trips today, the car's brakes worked wonderfully. Then,
> as I arrived at this coffee shop on the island, the pedal felt firm,
> stopped the car, but then headed towards to floor.
>
> So I either have a leak at a wheel cylinder or an internal leak in the
> master cylinder.> Jeff Aronson
> Vinalhaven, ME
********
If the master cylinder is bypassing fluid the MC fluid level will remain the
same after a few strokes.  If the fluid level drops, something is leaking on
down the line.  put clean cardboard under the car ( check the dumpster at a
local grocery store, or ask manager... ) and pump away until the fluid level
goes down, then wait a while and check the cardboard for wet spots.  If it
is internal " rust-out " the wet spot may not be directly under the actual
leak, due to gravity.

hope this helps.

reargards, ken in iou