<VV> clutch job- Dave Thompson

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun Sep 13 01:59:25 EDT 2009

At 02:38 PM 9/12/2009, Dave Thompson wrote:
>Ray,
>
>As per suggestions I read here a year or so ago, I removed /installed the
>trans with the crossmember attached. I removed the crossmember to body mount
>nuts. I also found that the bellhousing to diff bolts were easy to get to
>while on the ground. This should settle your mind more when bolting to
>aluminum as you said.
>I have never worked on a LM but I understand that there are tricks for
>re-attaching the axles. Something like jacking up the A-frames. Others can
>most likely chime in here.

If you have help, it's not too bad dealing with the u-joints on a
late.   When I did it by myself, I used a come-along.   Tacky and a
bit clumsy but it worked.

That's when I worked out a system to remove just the engine and leave
the transaxle in the car when doing a clutch.   Much quicker,
especially when I'm doing it by myself (which is what happens the
vast majority of the time).
And no, I never broke anything doing it this way.

tony..