<VV> Driveshaft alignment/install

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sat Sep 19 02:31:16 EDT 2009

In a message dated 9/12/2009 11:23:12 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
grymm at echoes.net writes:

If you  think thats tacky and clumsy...   I recall laying on my back,
gripping the brake drum with my thighs and working the axle/universal with
my hands.......   yes I'm serious... but then I'm young and  dumb(er).

Ray Rodriguez III

The best solution I have seen for the axle alignment/reinstallation  was
developed by Fran Schmidt, I believe. It involves the duplication of  the
installed height of the shock absorber at regular ride height. When  installed
on the car - prior to the removal of the powertrain - it maintains the
correct relationship of the driveshaft and the lower control/strut rod so that
the trailing arm is in the correct location to re-install the driveshaft and
the  lower control arm. This should make the re-install much easier. I think
Fran  made his set from a length of threaded rod, just bending one end into
a loop for  the lower mount. There are probably several ways to do this.

Seth  Emerson

C's the Day! - Corvair, Camaro,  Corvette