<VV> Driver killed when '65 Corvair convertible crashes

FrankCB frankcb at aol.com
Sat Sep 19 16:34:21 EDT 2009

Bill,
     But the bad press helped to keep the price down on used Corvairs.  Our first one (also a 65  Convertible) was bought in 1967 for only $1000 with only 11,000 miles on it.  Actually that's the MOST money we ever paid for a Corvair.
     Reminds me of the time some years ago when the Audi was accused of "unintended acceleration" and for some time you could pick up used ones for very little money.
     By the way, in regards to Corvairs "flipping", in all the time the NECC ran Corvairs at Lime Rock RACE track (over 30 YEARS) we only had ONE flip over onto its roof.  And that was a highly modified race ready version which fortunately for the driver had a full roll cage that kept the roof from collapsing very far.  All the many other Corvairs that ran there never flipped, but "some" of them spun out due to the over-confidence of their drivers (like ME).<GGGGG>.
     Frank "spin out" Burkhard