<VV> Driver killed when '65 Corvair convertible crashes

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun Sep 20 21:45:11 EDT 2009

At 10:43 PM 9/18/2009, Matt Nall wrote:
>   We only know that he was doing something he loved, when he passed...

I found this on the web, in a site about peoples' reflections on the
car they remembered most.

__________________

Phil Haper, Lafayette, Indiana
It was Christmas of 1966, and my '65 Chevy Corvair convertible was 20
months old. It had become obvious that I wasn't going to trade it in
in the near future. It was my third new Corvair in as many years, and
after that many times buying basically the same car, the list of
options/price/desirability was well sorted out.

I couldn't afford a Yenko Stinger Corvair or a new Porsche Super 90,
so the new-for-'65 suspension Corvair with the factory four-carb
engine was the logical choice.

To get what I really wanted, a true dual purpose daily
driver/Autocross car took a special order, and a little more than
five weeks for delivery. The year and a half of use I'd enjoyed to
that point had built admiration for what I feel today, 43 years
later, that Corvair continues to be the best American car I've ever owned.

At the time, my friend Don raced an MGB in SCCA G Production class.
(The Yenko was also newly added to the race-legal ranks of the SCCA).
Don and my wife combined some money and imagination and as a
Christmas gift ordered me a roll bar for my Corvair convertible. Don
told me later that it was a B&B roll bar from New Jersey, made to
specs provided by Don Yenko for the Stinger. Its engineering left no
doubt on my part. Installation took me a good half day because I
wanted to retain the backseat for use by the kids as well as not end
up with the car having an unfinished appearance.

Everything went back together exactly as it had come apart, with the
most severe modification required being the trimming of the back seat
armrest for clearance of one of the roll bar's support bars that
bolted to the rear wheel well (completely hidden by the back seat).

When completed, it looked as if General Motors had done the
installation, and in the 42 years that it's been that way, I haven't
changed a thing.

The roll bar was an outstanding gift, and remains a reminder of my
first wife and my friend Don.

tony..