<VV> 110 PG with rough idle and wanting to stall at stops

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 19 23:49:36 EDT 2009

I developed a problem during a club out of town activity last
weekend.  The Monza ran fine on the way down at highway speeds and
after arriving, at town speeds.  I parked it on the town square for
the show.  After the show was over it started and ran fine for about
a mile and a half.  Then it started to experience a rough idle and
wanted to die in drive.  I ran ok in neutral but I sensed that it
wasn't 100%.  I was able to drive it back to Dallas without too much
hassle except for the time I stopped for gas to check for leakage on
the new oil pressure sensor/sender.  The old one began leaking, and I
and some members had to replace it in the parking lot of the hotel.
Fortunately, it wasn't raining at the time as it had been pretty much
all day.  I drove back to Dallas in the rain which was moderate until
the last fifty miles which were torrential.  I got a damp carpet on
the driver's side from the high beam switch to the seat.  I
disconnected the battery when I got home and fan dried the interior
for two days.  Well, today I started it up again.  It took several
tries to get it started.  After it warmed up, I checked the advance
and it is where I have had it for the last five months at 24 BTDC.  I
checked the rpm at idle and got about 900, fast, I know, but remember
that it was dying in drive at stops, so a club member stepped up the
idle.  In drive, the rpm drops to 600 and it begins to run very rough
and the engine is vibrating to the stroke of the pistons.  It kept
running, but again, very rough.  Almost everything on the engine that
involves fuel or spark is less than seven thousand miles old and the
carbs are about 500 miles old (fresh complete rebuilds).   It has a
Petronix ignition.  One of the club members suggested the PCV may be
loose (it is the kind of hose configuration found on the A/C cars),
another suggested it might be water in the gas from a bad fill up,
and the other club members were scratching their heads.  I need some
advise as to what to check next.  I did think tonight to check the
carbs for leaking venturi which I will do in the morning, and then
maybe pull the plugs and see if there is anything I can glean from
them.   What else should I look for?

Stephen