<VV> Engine Lid Weatherstrip

henry kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Sun Sep 20 09:10:28 EDT 2009

John
If there was a "joint", where the ends of the weatherstrip are vulcanized
together, it would be made near the rear of the compartment (over the
license plate), to keep water from coming down over the backlite (rear
window) from coming into the engine compartment---or trunk on a front engine
car.

If you look at the trunk weatherstrip for 48-54 GM's, you'll see there are 3
components.  11feet of Weatherstrip on the trunk lid (right under where the
backlite is),  6 feet of Weatherstrip in the partial gutter on the body
(above the license plate) and a pair of molded corners to complete the seal.
The molded corner pieces may not have been there originally, but that's
where the replacement pieces made by Steele have been placed.

Best Regards
Hank
Corvair knowledgeable Steele CSR