<VV> LM Gas Gauge Inaccuracy

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun Sep 20 18:10:47 EDT 2009

At 05:31 PM 9/20/2009, Jay Pitchford wrote:
>Thanks to everyone. I found the ground strap, snugged the screw. I'm not
>certain whether/how well it's connected at the ground lug on the instrument
>cluster. I like the idea of a dedicated ground wire from the lug to a good
>chassis ground. Even if it doesn't turn out to be the root cause of all my
>instrument evils, it's a smart move. I guess I need to pull the whole durn
>dash out and do that.
>Dare the newbie ask what the horrid red plastic thingy is? Or will I need to
>brace myself with a vodka tonic first?

The HLRPT is that red plastic boss mounted on the left side unibody
frame runner alongside the battery box with a hex screw in it to
secure a couple of wire lugs feeding primary 12v to the car's
accessories.   It works well when it's ok, and is the bane of late
'Vair owners everywhere when it does not work well, causing outages
of everything electrical intermittently on occasion when it's been
subjected to corrosive elements like battery acid which is not
uncommon considering where the HLRPT is located.    A dose of
penetrant now and again will help keep the corrosion at bay.

And it WILL work well for decades if it's clean and non-bathed in
battery acid spatter.    A quick visual inspection is usually
sufficient to determine if it's causing trouble.    If suspicious,
you can bypass it by simply splicing the wiring and forgetting about
it altogether, or you can clean it or replace it.

tony..       has several functioning lates with working HLRPTs