<VV> painting

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Mon Sep 21 09:01:49 EDT 2009

Tony:

You are comparing OEM paint to aftermarket paint. They were always two
different animals, even when produced by the same company (Dupont, RM ,
PPG). OEM paint always held up better than what is sold through paint
stores to refinish cars. The lacquer applied by GM was a reflow type
paint. They didn't buff every car! They heated the bodies to 200° F or
better after applying the paint, so it would flow to a gloss. That is
why they were painted on the assembly line before wiring and interior
installation. Aftermarket (refinish market) lacquer never held up well.
It is just when people traded their cars every few years, the effects
weren't as noticeable on everyday cars. Now, park your lacquer car in a
garage, and it will be there looking good a long time. But outside in
today's acid rain environment? Forget it.

Why would one want to use lacquer to color coat a car and then apply
urethane clear? Just use today's basecoat color. It is even more
forgiving than lacquer! Much easier to use. I like Deltron DBU base
colors. It is very similar to Sikkens in smell, application, etc. I even
use both brands on the same car if I need two tones, stripes, etc. Now
it is time to learn waterbase!

Back about 1980, R-M made 2K clear, which was for clear coating lacquer
base. I did that for a short time before switching to urethane system
base colors. I still use my lacquer stock for furniture painting. Inside
it holds up well. But for really glossy furniture, urethane is still the
way to go. I have even painted bathroom cabinetry with urethane car
paint. Excellent.

Lacquer just dries by evaporation of the solvent, so most lacquer paint
can be revived with fresh thinner and time. Enamels dry through
oxidation, they usually cannot be revived as a chemical change has occurred.

Frank DuVal