<VV> Comments to the Virginia DMV (humor) and the Forbidden Mention of painting

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun Sep 20 17:12:49 EDT 2009

At 01:18 PM 9/20/2009, Mike Stillwell wrote:

>  Tony - Mike Hicks will back me up on this - it's all up to the
> cop. I was stopped for driving my car to a Friday Night HS Football
> game. Just wanted to get the dust off of it. I considered it
> pleasure driving. The cop gave me a warning. Could he have ticketed
> me? If he really wanted to, of course he could... following too
> close, changing lanes without signaling, make up your own cop's
> word vs. your word scenario. My solution... I put real plates on
> the car. Not been stopped since.

I've had no issues with police for several years now regarding the
'60 4-door.   I guess they're catching on.

However:

I've begun considering (since Mr Vigilante and his cute little
friggin' note) just registering the car with the 1960 plates as a
standard registration, put the yearly decals on the corner of those
tags, get it inspected (it should have no trouble passing) and
driving the thing exclusively everywhere and every place and wear it
out instead of the Jeep ;).

Either that, or paint it...

That's a viable option right about now seeing as I'm in the mood,
having shifted into "paint and body" mode over the last week.

Remember that '62 ragtop from Back When?    Painted it (finally)
maroon, finished the final color coat yesterday, now waiting the
required day or so for the paint to harden and cure before buffing it
out, and yes it's lacquer and I'll probably regret it after a few
years.   Lacquer these days isn't what it used to be, although this
particular maroon stuff is "vintage" paint that had been sitting for
quite some time, probably a couple of decades now.   It still was
fine, no settling or thickening nor did it do anything but just go on
smoothly.

I'd been looking for "back shelf" lacquer on Ebay and at paint shops
around town for some time, trying to find older commercial quality
stuff that hopefully still had some substance to it and I've acquired
some older lacquer that although rather long of tooth still seems to
be pretty good and looks as if it will maybe work out without rotting
when exposed to the sun for a couple of years.

Recently (well, several years ago) we bought some fresh Roman Red
lacquer (PPG) to paint the '60 Monza and it has NOT held up
well.   Even clear coated, it has faded and is beginning to flake on
the top surfaces that catch the most sunlight and will need a partial
repaint again.    The same color red that is on the recently acquired
'61 Lakewood which hasn't seen any wax since 1971 and has been
sitting in the weather a VERY long time will STILL shine if waxed and
indeed the sides are still showing gloss now, and that paint is the
factory original lacquer.    I don't know what GM was using then but
it sure holds up better than what is available these days.

As mentioned, lacquer ain't what it used to be.    This is partly the
reason I decided to use this gallon of dusty and faded-label maroon
paint that had been sitting around for many years.   Hopefully it's
gonna hold up.   Likewise the Datsun red I have, and some DuPont
white (ford white) and a gallon of DuPont black that dates back to
the late '70s I think...  not sure if I'm gonna turn up any more old
lacquer in this town.   I still haunt Ebay now and again looking for
vintage lacquer but it's dried up even there. ;)

I have considered using a urethane clearcoat over lacquer to help
make it more durable but I'm suspicious of how well it will actually
stay on the car.  Urethanes are still basically enamels (tough
enamels, I admit) but enamels do not have a very good history of
sticking to plastic paint such as acrylic lacquer.    Others in the
business I've talked to have said they hadn't had very good luck with
clearcoating lacquer with urethane.    So, this maroon is gonna be
it... we'll see how it holds up to the environment.

If nothing else it's an excuse to go out and buy some more Meguiars #8.

tony..