<VV> LM Gas Gauge Inaccuracy

Dave Thompson dave.thompson at verizon.net
Mon Sep 21 15:28:11 EDT 2009

Tony's suggestions are very sound. However, here's several other things to
look at:

First:
When I worked at LS Corvair parts early this year, we would order a bunch of
sending units at one time. They usually arrived all shoved into one box. The
first one that I ever sold was to a local guy that I have known for a few
years. A few days later, he came by and told me that the float wire was bent
so as to give a bad reading. He showed me which one was correct on my shelf.
We found two other ones with bent arms. I straightened the arms and put them
back on the shelf. I inspected all subsequent orders and had to straighten
one or two before putting them on the shelf.

Is your sending unit new? Could it be bent down?

Second:
Many old factory floats get a hole in them and fill with fuel. Sometimes,
the hole is very small and the float only partially fills. This allows the
float to semi-float but not go all the way up, giving a bad reading. Some
venders sell the sending unit and float separately. If replacing the sending
unit, replace the float too. While you are at it, replace the strainer
"sock" at the same time.

Lastly:
If you do remove the sending unit, replace the o-ring type seal. They are
only a couple of bucks and will help make sure that you don't have a leak
later.

Dave Thompson