<VV> Fwd: [fastvair] Corvair rumble in the Jungle

levair at aol.com levair at aol.com
Mon Sep 21 17:33:09 EDT 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: levair at aol.com
To: fastvair at yahoogroups.com; IndySCCA at egroups.com
Sent: Mon, Sep 21, 2009 11:25 am
Subject: [fastvair] Corvair rumble in the Jungle

For once the real Corvairs outnumbered the fake Lotus 7s and the spec
Miatas at the Indy SCCA autocross at the 16 street site.
    There were 5 Loti fakes and 7 real Corvairs, I didn't get a Miata
count. I remember when it used to be an all Neon affair; maybe now it's
going to be a Subaru and Mitsu affair. Times are always changing.
   Of course the 40 Corvairs at Saturday's Hoosier auto show made the
Corvair contingent possible.
    Indy region made us feel right at home and put the Corvairs in the
same heat just for the show---thanks.
   They even announced the CP Corvairs and the "spec" Corvair class.
Cathi Clark--Yenko Stinger 105--first in class winner
Ron Bunten--great interior
Tom Miller- great organizer
Paul Fox- fast and ugly
Tim Mahler-run of the day, club President
Michael LeVeque-big 13/1 NA engine
Warren LeVeque-big Turbo engine

I had just recently replaced the failed  "NEW" turbo with a rebuilt one
and couldn't test it since most prepared and modified cars aren't
street legal. We have to test very publicly.
     The boost  pressure outlet hose was balloning up and coming loose,
resulting in a 5000 rpm lean "idle" speed which made turning corners
impossible. With lots of help we Mcgivered the hose with plastic
bottles and hose clamps and finally made some clean runs.
     I had to turn down passengers until I got it fixed---didn't want
any more wall bangers.

I didn't see may times by others since I was so busy, but all of the
Corvair drivers seemed thrilled by the course design. If newbys in
large clumsy cars like it; it was a smashing success.
    Speaking of large clumsy cars. I've been driving much more nimble,
faster, smaller cars lately , but was thrilled to be back in my
pig---go figure. .
     I was able to squeak out a win over our club president in his
number 3 car. Michael could have gotten us all , but for the cones.
    The biggest smile of all at the trophy presentation was our Cathi
Clark upon receiving her first, first place.
    And I did get to take Michael's babe, Tracy for a ride after the
Stinger was sorta safe. Not a  complete event until you take a babe for
a ride.
   I liked Tim's sign over the passenger window "latest victim".

Warren

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional