<VV> Tires & Speedometers

Robert Marlow Vairtec at optonline.net
Wed Sep 23 16:05:11 EDT 2009

I own a Greenbrier which, when new, belonged to my father.  Around 1969
or so, he got a speeding ticket in it.  He was not happy, and he argued
with the cop for quite a while.

Then he remembered that the replacement tires he had purchased were
significantly larger that the van's original tires, and so he checked
the speedometer against the mileposts on the highway.  A significant
difference.  And exactly the error by which the cop's radar and my
father's speedometer disagreed.

My father sent a note of apology to the cop.  The cop sent back a note,
telling my father that it was the first citizen apology he had received
in years on the job!

More recently, I bought new tires for my Rampside, and I tried to get a
size that would closely match the originals.  I may have gotten slightly
too close, because the Rampside's speedometer now over-reads by roughly
5% -- just like new.

--Bob