<VV> GPS error> Tires & Speedometers

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Wed Sep 23 17:09:05 EDT 2009

It's interesting that you mention that... the GPS knows what the speed limit is (that's how it calculates the estimated trip time) but no unit that I'm aware of in the US displays it. I've always suspected this was due to liability concerns...

This summer (when my Ebay map card didn't show up in time) I picked up a cheap Garmin at Halfords in Scotland... to my amazement, not only did it show the speed limit, but it would also show fixed and mobile speed camera zones (updateable by subscription service). it would sound an alert when you entered the zone and would sound an alarm when you were exceeding the speed limit in a zone. (I assume that had I bothered to mess with it, I could have set it to alarm in or outside of a camera zone... and possibly set the margin... factory was zero kph over)

Of course in Scotland I wasn't worried nearly as much about the speed as I was those idiots who kept coming towards me on my side of the road! ;-)

In the US, I've found the GPS to be more accurate than any of my vehicles' speedometers...

Bill

 I actually wish you could set it to beep at you
if you exceed the limit by more then 10mph...  its easy to get a silly
ticket in a strange area.

Ray Rodriguez III
CORSA member
66' Corsa 140/4 coupe
65' Corsa 140/4 coupe (under construction)