<VV> alternator conversion

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sat Sep 26 11:19:46 EDT 2009

Yes, it needs to be changed. Generator regulators work differently
internally than alternator regulators, even though the result is the same.

You need to match the regulator style with the alternator style. If your
alternator is made for an external regulator, then you need to mount and
wire an external regulator on the firewall. This would be like the stock
65 to 69 Corvair setup, like what is in your 69.

The easier (?) way is to use the internal regulator style alternator,
because since the regulator in inside the alternator, the wiring is
easier, and there is no regulator to mount on the firewall.

Others will say, "It's in the book". Also look in the VV archives for
some recent discussion on where to find diagrams on wiring alternator in
place of generator.

Or if you want to see how NOT to do it, see

http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,226084,page=1

It is a great read. A bible of pitfalls to avoid, and hints of how to do
it right.

Frank DuVal