<VV> alternator conversion

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sat Sep 26 11:53:20 EDT 2009

At 06:52 AM 9/26/2009, pugdog53 wrote:
>I am switching my generator to an alternator and would like to know
>if the regulator needs to be changed? If so which voltage regulator
>do I need, early or late style?

By now I'm sure you know that alt regs are different.

..in more ways than one these days.   Many newer regulators, even
though they're designed to work as replacements for 40+ year old
cars, are actively electronic and contain semiconductors on a small
circuit board, no points.   Their operation is smooth and
precise.   They're pretty much the external equivalent to what's
inside the internal-reg alternators.    These solid-state regulators
are usually identified by their light weight and riveted-on covers,
no screws.   Usually.

tony..