<VV> WARNING / BATTERY CHARGING

Louis Armer carmerjr at mindspring.com
Sat Sep 26 18:16:15 EDT 2009

I have waited for the one most overlooked item to be brought up by
everyone posting about the battery explosion. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS CHECK
THE ELECTROLYTE LEVEL BEFORE STARTING THE CHARGE CYCLE. We all have
the experience of having to charge a battery with a standard charger
or a trickle charger. All these new batteries with the tops that look
like a sealed unit are just the same as Bill's old style battery and
REQUIRE monitoring of liquid levels. Whether a battery is in constant
use or seldom used the electrolytes do evaporate and allow a much
greater area for explosive gasses to accumulate above the plate areas
and this also allows the chance of an internal spark to arc between
the individual exposed cell plates. I strongly suspect this is the
cause of the internal explosion. Maybe we should all use OPTIMA batteries.

Chuck Armer

CORSA Member
Corvanatics Member
Corvair Atlanta Director