<VV> Old-time oil spray rustproofing question

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun Sep 27 22:18:51 EDT 2009

At 06:28 PM 9/27/2009, Tom Willcox wrote:
>Was wondering what the best method is to do this--what is used to
>make the oil sprayable, what ratio, and what to use as a sprayer?
>
>Need to get ready for winter!

If your budget can stand it, grab up several cans of LPS-3.   Most of
the bigger auto parts stores carry it.   Not as cheap as used motor
oil by a long shot but the stuff is bang-up good, sticks well, dries
semi-waxy and won't arbitrarily pick up every little speck of trash
that comes close.   It stays put, won't drip off, and will come off
fairly easy if washed with a hot-water pressure washer.   Otherwise
it's there to stay unless abraded or brushed off.

It's by far the best rust preventative I've seen.    It's fairly east
to spray into most places although its stream isn't wide enough to
make spraying larger areas a quick process.   You can heavy up on it,
layer it on again as each previous shot flashes over.  Once dry it's
sorta like bee's wax.

http://www.lpslabs.com/technical_info/msds/10316.pdf

It's good stuff.

tony..