<VV> Viton at GM

John Kepler jekepler at amplex.net
Mon Sep 28 17:43:22 EDT 2009

One flaw in that. The 5-year/50,000-mile warranty didn't exist before '67,
so you had less than 49,000 cars with that longer warranty. The '66-earlier
cars only had 3-year/36,000-mile warranties (or maybe less), if you go back
to '60. I can't vouch for the warranties back that far, as I was just a kid
and didn't get interested in cars until '63. My bet is that most standard
seals probably lasted for the length of the 3-year warranty. Just enough
time to clear it off GM's books, hence standard seal material was a
respectable risk.

Actually..most auto warranties in those days were 90 days/3000 miles!  The
3-year warranty was a product of the 1970's and the Japanese Invasion!

John