<VV> Repairing rusty cars

peter koehler pkoehler01 at atlanticbb.net
Tue Sep 29 10:06:46 EDT 2009

We are fortunate in the Corvair hobby in that we can get
parts to fix our project vehicles. Even used parts and
used body panels are relatively easy to obtain. As a
comparison, my current "project" is a one-owner 1977
Caprice 2 door coupe with 35k miles and rusty front
fenders. I also needed a front header and a hood since
this car went into a sign post at a high rate of speed.
The 1977 model year was the first year of "down sizing" on
America's most popular car. The front end shape stayed the
same for only three years and in 1980 GM changed it a
little bit. Trying to find good parts to fix this beauty
is a lot harder than any of my Corvairs. Right now we are
grinding and welding and using copious amounts of POR-15
and trying to save some really crappie panels because that
is all we can find out there. We should all count our
blessings. - Busted Knuckles Bondo Pete