<VV> A waste of time...

John Kepler jekepler at amplex.net
Tue Sep 29 21:44:09 EDT 2009

Whoa!

Do you still have the article that you wrote as a result of the
interview?  I'm sure 99.9% of this list would enjoy reading it.  What
college rag was this for?

Steven J. Serenska

You wouldn't want it even if I could somehow locate a copy.  Do you actually
think that a college newspaper in 1972-73 was going to print an article
critical of a counter-culture icon like Ralphie?  You either weren't in
college at the time or have forgotten the "environment" that existed!

My editor expended at least two "blue pencils" on my original interview, one
that I already considered significantly "toned down" compared to what I
really thought I should write (the King really wasn't naked....the kid was
just mis-quoted!) to something that remained more or less factually accurate
while placating the PTB's!  I was wrong, and since I needed the by-line
credit for my Journalism class....I wrote what she wanted....Ralph wasn't a
idiotic buffoon, he was the "Protector of the American Consumer Against the
Grasping Criminal Robber-Barons at GM and the Rest of Corporate America!"
(with "The Internationale" being sung in the back-ground!)  Though, IIRC, my
notes were mainly dominated by comments like "Ass**le!" and "Fraud", and
"Moron"!  The next year.....in a completely unanticipated aberration from
the de rigueur orthodoxy of student publications in the early 70's....I
became the Editor of the rag and changed the tone of things considerably,
but by that time....Ralph was old news.

John